It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:35 pm 

Does anyone have a remedy for all those burn spots in the grass? My dog's urine is the cause but I can't find an organic/"green" remedy. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you!

Post subject: Remedy to try
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:48 pm 

I have been told by friends who had this same problem that applying molasses to the spot takes care of it. I have kept a spray bottle with a molasses/water mix handy for the last few years to speed the decomposition of feces and that works great. 8) Just a spritz and it's gone within 48 hours.

Another suggestion was to use a low acidity vinegar (5%) solution (half vinegar half water) and then the molasses as a followup. The vinegar begins to pull the nitrogen down and the molasses bumps up the microbe level so they speed the process. It makes sense in its simplicity. :)

Either way will be both inexpensive and easy so it's worth a try!
At least we know it won't hurt.

Lastly, I have been told by animal people that a dog whose urine burns badly eats too much protein. My dogs' urine has never been much of a problem, and the little dog I have now doesn't put out enough to bother anything. :wink:
Hope that helps!
Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:21 pm 

Thanks for the tip. I'll give those a try. Is it just regular pure molasses and water mixed together?

And I had no idea about the molasses mix for speeding decomposition. Dual purpose there!

Post subject: Poop Scoop Alternative
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:36 am 

Yes, I mix molasses at 1 cup to a gallon of water and keep it around to spray on the waste. I got the idea from having a tiny yard for a little while and found out by spraying my garden (and the waste on accident), and realized how hand it could be. Now I just dose each "pile" and in warm weather it's gone in a very short time frame. Much more pleasant than the scoop method...
Kathe