It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Adding to compost
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:59 pm 

I am very new to all this and I don't mind if you laugh at my question, but I just have to ask. After reading some to the posts here it seems that I can continue adding my kitchen scraps to the compost heap. If this is so how often and when should I stop? Also should I turn it each time or simply dig a hole and put it in the center of the pile as I just read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:45 am 

deb-
I think there's hardly anyway you can foul up a compost pile. I've heard people say that if you are turining it more than once a week then you don't have enuf to do. :lol: I have a produce baggy from the grocery store on my kitchen counter in a small decorative covered pot & I add scraps & coffee grounds to that & dump as needed. I don't add pet waste to the pile but most people do. It's a good idea to water the pile if we don't have rain for a while. I didn't dig a hole initially, just started w/leaves, weeds, etc on the ground w/wire 3 sided 'fence' around it. Last summer I added branches & sticks & I'm regretting that-hard to turn!
Good luck-
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:04 am 

Yes, you can continue adding small quanaties of kitchen scraps to a compost pile pretty much up to the time you use it. Be careful about seeds though or you will end up with pumkins (or whatever) everywhere.

I usually stop adding to my finishing pile when my new pile starts to warm up. Then I let my finishing pile sit until needed.

When you add kitchen scraps to the pile, yes, you can just dig a hole in the pile and put the scraps in the hole. I usually mix them well with coffee grounds to keep them from clumping up. You dont want to add something that may just form a big clump without mixing it with loosen it up a bit first.