It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:56 am 

Does anyone know what the life expectancy is of Garrett juice, orange oil, fish emulsion, liquid seaweed,etc.? Does temperature have any effect on the products? I have all my organic products stored in a shed, which is insulated but not heated or cooled, so I'm wondering if the heat in summer or cold in winter has any effect on the products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:11 pm 

I do not have an exact answer to your question. I have often thought of this myself.

I'm sure over time, some products could lose potency. On the other hand, some products will become stronger if allowed to set over time. Issues such as time and temperature effect these things which are biologically active. That is why one should never store compost tea in a sealed container (it could explode).

One thing to consider is the environment in which these things are used. I do not think that it can get too cold for most products. Over a long period of time, excessive heat, especially in conjunction with light, will most likely have an adverse effect on a product.

Even if microbes are dead, they will be food for the microbes that are in the soil.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject: product life expectancy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:16 am 

When I make my own Garrett Juice, I store it in our old refrigerator in the garage, figured that was better than the heat of summer.
Patty