It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:22 pm 

I see on Howard's tree picture page a "Red Maple" which I assume is Acer rubrum. Will this grow in the Waco area or do I need to verify a soil pH first? I see in the Highland Park area in the fall multiple red-leaved trees that I assume are red maples but could be sweet gums. I have a new construction home with an acre of land. I want fall color trees but am not excited about the "balls" that come with the Sweet Gum. Shumard Red Oak is possible but there is a great amount of oak wilt in the area and several old oaks have died. Thoughts on trees for central texas with red fall color or other thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:13 pm 

As long as you're using the natural approach to your overall property, you'll minimize any risks fo oat wilt. I'd plant a Shumard Red Oak with confidence therre myself. There are anumber of other red-fall-colour trees you can plant, among them:

Dogwood
Texas Ash
Chinese Tallow
Sweetgum
RustyBlackhow Viburnum
Japanese Maple
Pear
Some Crepe Myrtles

There are also a number with nice orange color that compliments the reds-

Big Tooth, Caddo and Chalk Maples.
Chinese Pistache
Texas ash (it gets a number of colours including red, orange, and occasionally purple.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:34 pm 

Thanks. But do you think that an Acer rubrum IRed Maple) tree will grow in Waco? I am having the soil pH tested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:27 am 

I'm not familiar with that one off the top of my head. I'll see what I can find.

Anyone else familiar with it, feel free to chime in.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:32 pm 

Thank you for any help. Red Maple is listed as an East Texas type tree but there is a picture of it on this web site that I think said was taken in Dallas. If so, could it not grow in Waco if the soil pH is adequate?

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:47 am 

I've found that in a lot of sites, if there is adequate use of compst, the PH is mitigated and trees adapt (except in extreme cases)