It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:06 pm 

Is the 20% vinegar/orange oil/soap herbicide able to be used on weeds in a vegetable/herb garden? I've been impressed with it in other areas.
I'm quite the lazy gardener, and don't always get around to mulching like I should. :oops:

Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:24 pm 

It is perfectly safe in the veggie garden if you are careful not to overspray on your veggies. Don't expect much of a kill on grasses like bermuda and johnson grass. It will kill/brown the top but not the root. Multiple sprayings may work for you but they wore me out.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:45 pm 

As Tony M said, the vinegar herbacide solution won't be effective in keeping Bermuda grass at bay. There are other plants (weeds) that it isn't effective on either. You could maintain your status as a "lazy gardener" :D by mulching.

Post subject: grass in my garden
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:02 pm 

hmmmm...I replaced the Bermuda grass in my back yard this year with Buffalo...got that right...created some beds around the perimeter...but made the mistake of listening to the wrong person -- the landscapers that I used didn't remove all the bermuda grass, put down weed cloth...and covered it with mulch...very little amending of the clay soil.
most of the Bermuda is at bay, I believe, but some is creeping back.
AND I've learned my lesson now about the cloth... :oops:
My plan is to go in, remove the mulch, cut the cloth and remove it in the beds around the plants..but then there's the lingering Bermuda in the beds that have survived the cloth...
I read that if I use the vinegar solution with Orange oil and expose the grass to the hot sun, then I might be able to kill off the Bermuda...could it be so?
If there's a good chance of it, I'm willing to do the work...but don't want to slave away if it's a hopeless cause.
Any suggestions??? :?

Post subject: Re: grass in my garden
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:00 pm 

bray1 wrote:
...My plan is to go in, remove the mulch, cut the cloth and remove it in the beds around the plants..but then there's the lingering Bermuda in the beds that have survived the cloth...
I read that if I use the vinegar solution with Orange oil and expose the grass to the hot sun, then I might be able to kill off the Bermuda...could it be so?
If there's a good chance of it, I'm willing to do the work...but don't want to slave away if it's a hopeless cause.
Any suggestions??? :?

Get rid of the weed cloth...Good plan :) You don't mention what mulch you have, but rather than remove it completely you might want to just pull it back and replace it once you get the cloth taken up. You may even want to supplement it with some more mulch. A nice thick cover will save you water and help keep those weeds at bay.

Killing off Bermuda with Vinegar/Orange Oil/Soap alone, is a bit optimistic and unrealistic. You can burn off the upper growth, but that is not the only place Bermuda lives. You're going to have to do some digging and pulling (no tilling), and you will have to do it with some regularity. Adding a physical barrier (steel edging), aggressive use of a weed eater, and a healthy dose of a good mulch can be your allies in the fight. The cause is not hopeless, but it will take some diligence on your part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:11 am 

Thanks for the info...Then I can look at my efforts - the removing of the cloth, the spraying of the solution, and more amending of the clay with more mulch and compost - as the major first step, with consistent attention to the situation required... 8) OK, I can dig that.
I am gathering from you and my reading that adding to the soil is critical.

I do have some barrier between the grass and the beds...

So the solution involves Orange essential oil or orange plant oil that is bought at nurseries??

Muchas muchas gracias! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:13 am 

bray1 wrote:
...OK, I can dig that.

:lol:

bray1 wrote:
...I am gathering from you and my reading that adding to the soil is critical.

Whether intentional or not, I like your gardening lingo....dig....gather :) By "adding to the soil" do you mean adding ammendments or mulch or what? I view adding mulch as the most important step as it seems to be the most helpful. It helps to maintain moisture levels, soil temps, and retards weed growth. As it decomposes it adds to the soil. And the look is aesthetically pleasing, IMO.

Adding ammendments is, depending on your goals and expectations not critical, that is my opinion, of course. I do it, but it is not required. You can get by (quite nicely) with something like adding a layer of finished compost before replacing your mulch. Or, you can go whole hog and add any and all ammendments.
bray1 wrote:
...So the solution involves Orange essential oil or orange plant oil that is bought at nurseries??....

This from the Dirt Doctor library

Quote:
Vinegar - The Organic Herbicide
The best choice for herbicide use is 10% white vinegar. It should be used full strength. I've mentioned 20% in the past but it stronger than needed and too expensive. Avoid products that are made from 99% glacial acetic acid. This material is a petroleum derivative. The proper vinegar is distilled from grain alcohol. Natural vinegars such those made from fermenting apples have little herbicidal value. They are used in irrigation water and as an ingredient in Garrett Juice.

Herbicide Formula:

1 gallon of 10% vinegar
Add 1 ounce orange oil or d-limonene
1 teaspoon liquid soap or other surfactant
Do not add water

Spot spray weeds and keep the spray off desirable plants. This spray will injury any plants it touches.

I mix mine in a 32 oz spray bottle. I use an ounce of orange oil in 32 ounces. I use a variety of "soaps" and have recently switched over to 10% pickling vinegar. I'm on my last gallon and now can't remember where I bought it :?

I buy the product Orange TKO. It is my favorite for gardening purposes as well as around the house. You can buy it at Elliot's (sp?) Hardware, online, and I buy it at the HG Organic Show in Arlington.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:24 am 

a bit intentional, I must say...
Hey, thanks for all the info...you rock! :lol:

My question about orange oil -- is that essential oil -- I work for a company that sells pure essential oils...I think we're talking about the same thing, as orange essential oil is cold-pressed from orange peels...if so, I have plenty of that!

I'm taking a vacation next week, and am thinking I will have my early mornings/early evenings reserved for this project :!:

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:44 am 

Yes, Orange TKO is an extract (d'limonene) from the orange peel. It is a concentrate. You would know better than I about the concentration levels of your company's product(s).

bray1 wrote:
-- I work for a company that sells pure essential oils...

8) Please take time to add your inputs to some of the existing threads on essential oils and their uses. Or just start a thread of your own and share your knowledge :)

Oh and forgive me, but Welcome to the DD site :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:57 am 

Will do! :wink:
and thanks! It's already been a wealth of information for me!
BR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:49 pm 

:o I was leaving town for a couple of days, so I removed the weed cloth from part of my beds, and sprayed the stray Bermuda grass roots with 20% vinegar and I added about 50 drops of Orange Essential Oil...and left the area open for the sun to bake it...
That grass is a 'gone pecan'...looks mighty dead to me. So I'll continue with this regimine over the next few days and try to thin out the remaining grass while removing the nasty weed cloth...and add a bit of compost to the area...
It worked!!!
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:46 pm 

AuraCacia, sounds good. Just be aware that Bermuda grass has living parts (rhizomes) below the surface as well as above. You might (or might not as the case may be :D ) dig or pull the grass from that area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:06 am 

Oh yes, I realize that...it's difficult to pull it all up when working in clay...but I'm getting a fair amount dried up and pulled. Much better than it was! :D