It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:02 am 

We have full grown a Range peach and Methley plum with mint growing about the base say 12 - 18 inches. The trees are in a backyard setting with turf grass except at the area mentioned. Both trees are healthy though they abort a lot of fruit and the rest have worms. Do you think it is worth the time and effort to pull the mint from the base area?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:41 pm 

Why do you want to remove the mint? Do you believe it is interfering with the fruit production? I've never heard of that although I know some plants do adversely affect one another. How do you fertilize and with what products? Have you applied any compost around the base lately? You can do that over & around the mint, and it will probably grow right through it. Just an inch of so of good compost spread evenly out to the drip line does wonders. Do you foliar feed? Have you tried parasitic wasps?

Give the organic fruit & nut tree care methods a try. I predict you will get good results and the mint really won't affect anything. A sick pecan tree in the yard of my new house has revived beautifully with proper care. I got a good crop of pecans last year and expect a great one this year. Let us know how it works!

Kathe :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:02 am 

Thanks for the comment Kathe. I really do not want to remove the mint if it will not seriously affect the trees. I have not used anything but compost we make from leaves in the fall around the trees but have not spread it through the mint. Will try. Haven't tried the wasps but am seriously considering it next year.

Post subject: Fruit Trees & Mints
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:19 pm 

I did a little digging for you and found nothing that indicates mint would be the cause of your problem. However, I did find that a variety of other factors can cause fruit trees to abort their crop. Insects, inconsistent watering, not enough chilling during the winter (depends on the variety), and lack of trace nutrients.

Best program is the organic program, which makes the conditions more consistent, builds the tree's own system and health, and helps to keep the soil in top condition to produce the healthiest trees and the best fruits. As I said, my tree improved dramatically with some simple, proper care and is thriving this year. I predict both my family and our neighborhood squirrels will be happy! :wink: :D

Good luck my friend! :D
Kathe