It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:47 am 

We have a male Cardinal repeatedly pecking and dive bombing into our windows at my house and the neighbors too. He entertains the kids daily with his comical ritual... He also seems to enjoy attaking the side mirror of our cars too! I have heard they are territorial...any thoughts as to how long they will continue doing this? This is is the first year I have seen them do this...We have lived in our house over six years and have always been organic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:35 pm 

I am surprised this is the first time he has done this. I hope that he does not hurt himself in doing so. We have mirrored window film on our sunroom windows along one side of the house. Th cardinals that hang out here have yet to fly in to them. Just house finches and blue jays. Curious... :?

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject: cardinal.....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:01 am 

Hey Nadine!
Thanks for the reply...I have found out that the male cardinals are very territorial. He mush assume that his reflection is another male cardinal and he is trying to fight him off! We must have several nests around because I see many cardinals around our house and our neighbors yards too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:58 am 

Regarding comical things bird do; last year a male Roadrunner came to both of my screen doors (glass at bottom) with a lizard in his beak. He did this several times. I later found out that he could see his reflection in the glass and was trying to court the reflection. I found out that the Roadrunners present lizards, etc. as courting bribes. Very interesting birds to watch. I wish they didn't eat so many of my lizards though.

Post subject: Bird Reflections
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:45 pm 

Cardinals are not the only species that attack rearview mirrors. I was in New York last week and there was an article in the paper about woodpeckers attacking and actually breaking the outside rear view mirrors on cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:43 pm 

We have house finches that do the same thing on our car mirrors

Post subject: cardinals
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:42 am 

While at our property in far NE Tx yesterday, we noticed a cardinal pair eating the berries in a prickly ash tree above our heads. This is 20 acres & most of the birds don't come too close, usually. This time they didn't seem too concerned that we were 'invading their space' & it was such a pleasure to watch them. They didn't drop anything on us either!
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:25 pm 

Funny stories!!! When we lived in the White Rock area, we had a woodpecker that would peck on our bedroom window early in the morning. Maybe he saw his reflection too!!! Probably had a headache after that. We thought it was the maintenance crew at first?!?!?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:28 pm 

PS We have several white wing doves that feed early morning, early afternoon and early evening in our backyard. Last weekend, I was working the grill and turned around to see 5 or 6 of them not 10 feet from me. I walked around and they didn't flinch...until the cats got out. Fun to watch......