It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: chickens or turkeys?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:49 pm 

Is it easier to raise chickens or turkeys? Do you feed boths birds the same thing? If so, what and how do you feed them?
Tree Dude

Post subject: chickens and turkeys
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:31 am 

They are not the same. Turkeys are very hard
to raise, depending on the breed. I have heard
turkeys can stand in a rain storm and drown
from the rain drops hitting their heads. I don't
know for sure but the older breeds that are not
bred for giant breasts, maybe more intelligent.
You do need to do your home work.
Robert D Bard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:06 pm 

Apparently there is a lot of interest in heirloom turkey breeds. Anyone?

Post subject: homework
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:24 pm 

I did my homework immediately. When was I searching on google,I found a very excellent web site about organic farming,ranching, poultry,cattle, farmers' markets www.localharvest.org
It is basicly the about "all organic family" around the nation. I was suprised and delighted how wide the organic methods are.
Tree Dude

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:50 pm 

by far chickens,they will do well in a small pen with grain and left over fruit such as apple core, melon rinds tomatoes etc.they love this stuff. but it is best to let them run loose and chase their own food, then at night call them in to a chicken house with some grain to protect them from predators dogs,owls,coons etc.if room does not allow for this then they will do just fine in a pen with proper feed. turkeys are more of a headache and require more room because of mess, or at least that has been my experience. plumber

Post subject: Chickens
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:31 am 

We don't have to call our chickens in at night; they head for the chicken coop just before dark, except one that waits by the back door to be carried.

Pat Akin

Post subject: chickens or turkeys
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:46 pm 

we have raised chickens for about thirty years and most of them prefer the trees in the woods compared to the chicken house, especially after running around all day for long periods of time. thats pretty good you have one that waits by the back door to be carried to bed, sounds like a canidate for americas funniest home videos. :wink: :lol:

Post subject: Chickens
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:27 am 

Plumber, thanks for the comment. Don't you have coyote problems "in the woods?"

Pat Akin

Post subject: chickens or turkeys
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:12 pm 

pat, i do have a few problems with coyotes getting after a chicken from time to timebut its usually when i get chickens that have been raised in a small pen and at night they wont get up in a tree to roost. i will put them up at night if i can but some are so wild they wont come in, most of those are game chickens, leghorns seem to be better and their eggs seem to be better. but anyway i have always liked chickens to me they are fun to watch. i started raising them when i was about ten when my dad brought home some cornish game hens, can't seem to get my kids interested in them they would rather have a skateboard(oh well). nice to chat with you. plumber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:36 pm 

Can either bird fight off against predators? Or are they just almost brainless when they are under attack?
Are mamas good bodyguards for their little chicks? Is it okay to be near the young ones? Same thing with turkeys.(by the way, are baby turkeys called chicks or they have another term?)

Post subject: chickens, turkeys
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:01 pm 

when our chickens hatch out a nest of eggs we always pick them up and look at them there is no problem with that, sometimes the mama hen will try to flog you but its no problem, if a rooster several years old with long spurs gets on you it can smart pretty good. as far as defense a turkey would put up a better fight against a predator, a big tom is hard to handle if he is mad, chickens will normally take off running flapping their wings and get up in a tree. if there are a lot of predators around your better off with a chicken yard. as far as baby turkey chicks i dont know of another name, maybe somebody reading this can tell us both. plumber.