It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Getting a Late Start
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:25 pm 

This year, I am getting a late start on my lawn.

I am ready to spread the molasses, but since I missed the window, should I go ahead and spread the corn gluten meal, too, or just move ahead with organic fertilzer and fight the weeds another way?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:51 am 

I would go ahead and distribute the CGM. It may be too late to act as a preemergent herbicide, but it will still work as a great spring green-up type fertilizer. I've gone some CGM left over. I'm curious if anyone knows if the stuff has a shelf life ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:45 pm 

I wouldn't worry about when you apply molasses. Any time will give you the same effect. In my case the effect is No Effect, but others see some benefit to it. CGM, if you want the preemergent effect, should have gone down earlier. If you apply CGM you will not need any more fertilizer for several months.

Organic fertilizers don't have a shelf life in the same way as foods. Even if it spoils, tt will have the same benefit. However, all organic fertilizers are subject to attack by weevils, rats, roaches, etc. I try to get only enough to use it all up with every application. Even insect ridden organic fertilizers are okay to use. They are full of insect poop which makes excellent fertilizer by itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:25 pm 

Along those same lines......
My wife and I just bought a new home in Highland Village (guess I will have to change my "handle" :)
Anyway-the previous owner used nothing but chemicals, and, in fact, informed me that he went ahead and put out the bag of Scott's Turf Builder when he was cleaning out the garage. Thanks a bunch, guy.
I feel like we are starting all over, after being organic now at our other home for several years. Do I just go ahead and start all over by putting out molasses and organic fertilizer (I like the Alliance Milling product), or do I do the Detox program? This is starting to get very confusing.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:57 pm 

Jim-in-Highland Village :)

I personally wouldn't worry about detoxing from a bad of Scott's fertilizer. I would proceed with adding my organic ammendments on my own schedule. If his application was recent, I wouldn't immediately apply an organic fertilizer. But if you want to add lava sand, humate, or molasses then you could go ahead.

On a separate note, regarding molasses. Dchall doesn't find molasses working too well as a stimulant, and I don't find it (dry or liquid) effective as a fire ant deterrent. And as I think about it, really couldn't point to any substantive proof that is beneficial to the landscape myself. Another poster reported his opinion of the lack of benefit from the use of dried molasses:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:35 am 

Hmmm. Interesting testimony on molasses, huh!

Jim, I'd would start the organic fertilizer even though the previous guy fertilized with Scotts. But again, no hurry. If you are interested in experimenting with compost tea, you could do that. It's a little more complicated to make than it would be to buy (you can't buy good compost tea because it goes bad immediately after it's made), but it should help restore any lost microbes to your soil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:46 am 

I don't notice dry molasses as a fire ant derrent, either. My testimony is that I use dry molasses in my front yard, and not in my back. I use more compost in the back yard cuz that's wher the compost pile is. Also, I have 2 huge, old fruitless mulberries in the back yard an mulch the leaves every week throughout the fall. The back yard gets plenty of organci material. I've never had a fire ant bed in the back yard, but still have them in the front.

Because I had already purchased them, I've spread 50 lbs of molasses and 40 pounds of humate on my 1/3 acre pasture in December and January, and CGM in February. I haven't seen a decrease in fire ant hills yet. But, the horse sure do love that sweet grass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:37 pm 

Last year I applied dry molasses to my front and back yards twice. The first time worked better than the next on eleminating fire ants. I haven't applied molasses this year, but have done other amendments. This year the fire ants are much less than last - only one small mound in the back yard instead of 10 - 20 in front and back. It definitely has worked for me, but best results have come over time after going organic for a period of months. I also think keeping the grass cut 3 inches or more is a deterrant.