It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:09 pm 

We planted a couple Gardenias in our front yard last Spring. One of them had a little trouble at first, but within a few months, both were looking really good. This winter, we didn't think of doing anything special to protect them, other than tring to get some water in the ground before any bad freezes. Unfortunately they're looking pretty bad right now.

One of our gardeing books says to prepare Gardenias for the year by cutting away the frost damage. I'm afraid there'd be nothing left.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I cut away everything that's brown, even if that just leaves a couple twigs coming out of the ground? Or should I leave it be?

Here's the picture. Thanks for you help.

--Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:14 pm 

Yes, you should cut it back -- dead like that doesn't come to life again.

Did you plant from a pot? Gardenias often come very root-bound in pots and if you drop them in a hole and just backfill, they will never thrive. You need to soak the rootball in a Garrett juice or similar tea -- 1 once to a gallon of water -- until well drenched, and then carefully lift and place in the hole. Make sure you gently spread apart the root-bound mass when it's in there and backfill with the native soil.

Pour the tea mix over it, water regularly to keep it moist, and hope...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:35 pm 

Billusa99,

I hope you are watching this old post. I had the same thing happen to my gardenias (someone else planted them for me). I removed a totally dead plant, and it appears the person planting it just dropped it in the hole.

My question is, should I just cut rest of my gardenias back and hope for the best; or should I get them out of the ground, soak them, then replant?

Thanks!

Post subject: Gardenias
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:17 am 

Gardenias like a lower pH and lots of organic matter in loose soil.
So with our alkaline soil, lots of compost and other soil amendments will take you a long way toward success with them. They'll burn in the summer if they get too much sun too, so morning sun with afternoon shade should be perfect for them. No less than 4 hours of direct sunlight each day.

Sadly, the photo on this post looks like a very dead gardenia.
Happily, with good soil amendment and a new gardenia this gardener should have beautiful blooms and a happy plant. Remember they are semi-tropical, so living through the winter isn't always a given here.

Thanks for reminding me of them. I've got a spot where they will probably be well enjoyed in my garden that I've been saving for just the right plant.

Kathe :D