It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:41 pm 

HI,
Bought a couple of xanthoceras sorbifolia from a nursery where they had been in 1 gallon pots for a few years, not fertilized and rarely watered.
They were yellowish but still alive.
Thought I would let them acclimate for a week before I gave any fertilizer or repotted.
Started turning brown within a few days of bringing them home.
Repotted one and lightly fertilized the other in the original pot just to see what might help.
Been a little over a week so far since the changes, no improvement.
What's the right thing to do?
Thanks,
Terri888

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:10 am 

Terri,

I would imagine at this point they have gone dormant trying to survive. Give the tree a light shaking back and forth, if the leaves fall off easily, then it is dormant, if not, it may be dead or near that. If they are not falling off, test do a cutting to see if there is any green wood, if so, it may not be too late. If none, take the plant back if possible.

Once you have determined if the plants are dormant or dead, if just dormant, get them in the ground ASAP as that is the best place for them. Once they are planted, run your hose gently near the base to allow the backfill to settle in well. Mulch at 2-4 inches thick but not up to the trunks. Then give them a drink of Liquefied Seaweed diluted at 1/4 cup per gallon and a gallon on each plant. Repeat this every 5-7 days until you see improvement. Hopefully you will see some new buds soon, but, the leaves that have browned probably will not green up.

Last edited by Scott-in-Texas on Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:11 pm 

I have started a new procedure gleaned from this forum for transplanting root bound plants. After I remove the plant from the pot, I loosen up the bound roots. Then I soak the root ball in a water/seaweed mixture until the root ball is well soaked. I add a little less of the liquified seaweed than the directions call for. It may take awhile, I had one little tree that was like concrete. After soaking, then I replant following the basic steps listed by Scott. This pre-soak has been very effective for me. The little tree was a Mexican Buckeye, planted in August. It has grown about 8 inches since then :D