It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:15 am 

Hello to all:
I am new to this foruom but not to organics. I have listened to the Dirt Doctor ever since he has been on WBAP. I am interested in roses and Hardy Hibiscus. Everyone tell me Hibiscus will not live in heavy clay soil. I bought two last spring they are doing great here and this soil is very heavy clay. would like to hear any suggestions on propagating them. I have taken some "green wood) cuttings trying to root in water with garret juice, seaweed and liquid molases. Also trying sone (hardwood) cuttings in organic potting soil with same amendments except I added sugar. Any ideas I would love to here them.
ps I am retired so have time to play around with this.

Happy gardening :lol:
jv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:09 am 

Welcome! What a great thing that you have time to play and that you do things "The Natural Way"! You may wish to refer to the ornamentals forum for help on this. I think you would find the book "Secrets of Plant Propagation" by Lewis Hill to be quite helpful as well! :wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject: Hardy hibiscus
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:15 pm 

I am in my first summer of raising hardy hibiscus. I bought mine from a lady at the Saturday Farmer's Market here in Corsicana. She says you can take a cutting from a plant now and root it in water, or you can plant the seeds it makes after blooming, or it can be divided in the fall. Some of mine make seeds after a bloom falls off, but not every one. She showed me to make a cutting by cutting one of the branches off where it joins the main stem. Hope it works for you.

QMJ

Post subject: PROPOGATING HIBISCUS
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:46 pm 

qmj
thanks a lot I will try that. I have some in water as well as some in soil waiting to see what happens. My Texas Stars are beginning to make pretty good seeds. All my other do like your's are doing.
:D Happy Gardening