It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:47 am 

For those of you dealing with large amounts of weeds, (in my case an acre of poison ivy) and not exactly knowing where you've already sprayed, take one square section at-a-time and mark the four corners with landscaper's paint.

Maybe this is already out there, but I just thought of it. :D

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:39 am 

Thanks!

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:44 pm 

That's a dangerous amount of vinegar to have on hand. For an acre I'd suggest goats as the first line of defense. They love poison ivy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:56 am 

I'm fresh out of goats.
Why would vinegar, in one-gallon containers, with child-proof caps be dangerous?
I don't actually have a full acre of poison ivy, it just seems that way when I try to get rid of it. I live on one acre and it occurs a little here... a little there. When I apply the vinegar (spot spraying), it becomes difficult to know which plants have been sprayed, thus the reason for the post.
Kent

Post subject: vinegar/p.ivy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:17 am 

Kento-
Have you had any luck w/killing the p.ivy? I still have not tried it, have only pulled it & got into some places w/tractor & bush hog. Its coming back up, but sparsely & if the tractor will ever run again, we'll keep those areas mowed. Poor husband has used the old reg. mower we had at home to mow some areas. I need to 'get it together' & have the sprayer & vinegar & soap all in one place & try spraying. Having some things at home & some at the land is not working...
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:28 am 

Patty,
I gave up on the poison ivy until next Spring, when the new growth starts. Vinegar hasn't touched it lately. I may just learn to live with it and create ivy-free walkways and paths through the trees and let nature happen everywhere else.
Kent

Post subject: p.ivy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:57 pm 

Kento-
I think that's a great idea-pathways,etc. But it will probably grow in the paths, too, unless you make cement ones! My problem is more w/ivy climbing into the trees. Still have uncleared areas w/mustang grape in the trees along w/honeysuckle, p.ivy, VA creeper. Areas that we cleared last yr have grown back & we haven't had a chance to get to the whole thing yet & can sure see it's a losing battle.
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:07 am 

kentobrew wrote:
Patty,
I gave up on the poison ivy ... Vinegar hasn't touched it lately. I may just learn to live with it ...

Since I haven't been able to work the yard since early July, the posion ivy in my yard has taken hold again. When I can get back at it, I will have an uphill battle. I agree that the Vinegar (20%) / Orange Oil (heavy - 2 oz / 32 oz) / Soap (1 tsp/32 oz) only presents a temporary setback for the plant. Even with consecutive days of spraying. Where I can, I cut/spray/cover with coffee can. That provides some control but hasn't eliminated it. It still manages to pop up here and there.

Post subject: p.ivy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:54 pm 

Are we all doomed? I can't imagine what it would be like to be allergic to it. I have a few tiny bumps after tackling the stuff & didn't used to get it at all. I actually feel we are making some headway after mowing/clipping a little more today-it looks a little discouraged...
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:59 pm 

If it only looks "a little discouraged" then you are in trouble :lol: Mine will look down right dead, as in a "crispy critter" after a good spraying. When cut and sprayed (having only stems w/o leaves, it will appear so withered as it would be absolutely impossible to return. It's just trying to fake me out... :roll: