It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: invasive weed/vine
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:32 pm 

This is my first time on DirtDoctor.com. I understand I'm suppose to be brief, but I'm hoping someone out there will have the patience to read my long-winded descriptions of what I call "TERROR VINE." Thanks to your refs. to web sites (Texneus, AMG, Organic 1) I've researched bindweeds, greenbriars, wild buckwheats, etc., but haven't found my specific vine. HELP! The roots are shallow (1 to 1 1/2 "). The vine is beet red from the root to the first leaves (which may be 3' away from the root), then the vine is green. The vine is NOT woody, but soft/fleshy. No tendrils. No hairs. It's covered in small (1/16") hooked/clawed thorns. The underside of the leaves also has thorns along the main vein. Leaves are green. Young leaves are elongated arrowheads, older leaves are more triangular arrowheads. Each leaf node is surrounded with a strange cup-shaped leaf around the vine, out of which grows the contiuation of the vine, and one stem (1 to 3") and one arrowhead leaf. No noticeable flowers, but some vine ends (where the cup-shaped leaf is formed) develop small grape-like clusters of berries. Berries are about 1/16-1/8" diameter, and change from light green to dark blue in the month of August. It prefers sun, and doesn't grow well in dense shade. It seems to propagate by the berry seeds (and birds?).
If you have read this far, a million thank yous!!! I DESPISE this Terror Vine. It's extremely invasive, forming a smothering blanket of vines on top of shrubs, flowers, and even trees. It seems to grow by the yards. The thorns cling to anything including clothing, gloves, pets, so ripping it out is hazardous duty!
Over the past 55 years, I've battled, and defeated, honeysuckle, morning glory, virginia creeper, poison ivy, and wild grape vine. But, I'm losing my war against this Terror Vine
Please, HELP! What is this Terror Vine? How do I kill it? It's already taken over 1/2 acre of our 5 acre property!
Frustrated, but Not Defeated,
SLH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:03 pm 

Is it one of the vines on this site?

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HS185

Post subject: invasive weed/vine
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:29 pm 

jrosto, Thanks.....but, no, it's not pictured on this site. However, I plan to continue researching this site for more info.

slh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:44 pm 

slh, you've got mile-a-minute vine (Polygonum perfoliatum), a major invasive problem, especially in Pennsylvania (although the rest of us will probably be seeing it soon):

Check this out:

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/pubs/midatlantic/pope.htm

One bit of good news, I was recently at a conference where a researcher updated us on her new biological control project to battle this weed. They've got some insects from the plant's native range that specialize in eating mile-a-minute vine, and after completing the required quarantine lab research to prove they won't harm native or commerically important plants, the feds gave final approval to release them last month.

The same researcher is just starting a similar project to find a biological control agent for kudzu 8)

Post subject: saccharum
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:58 pm 

YOU DARLING GENIUS! Mile-a-Minute vine is an EXACT match for my Terror Vine!!! I can't thank you enough. Knowing the name, and that professional people are researching a way to get rid of it has lifted my spirits. THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

slh

p.s. should I leave my post and your reply on the site so that others can benefit from your knowledge? I think yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:23 am 

slh,
Don't delete your post. There is a lot of research that goes into finding the correct answer to your's, and others, questions. There is a search on this forum which will find your post and the answers for others to see. This way the research will not have to be redone. This is an excellent forum for the organic community to ask questions and get answers. We have posters from all around the world asking and answering questions.

Post subject: GAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:44 pm 

GAR,
This is all new to me. Yes, ofcourse I'll leave my post. I'm so happy that someone answered with the right information, that I ran off a few copies of the info about "Mile-A-Minute" vine for my friends, family, and even the grass cutter people. Everyone was surprised and pleased. I'm singing DirtDoctor's praises all over the place.

slh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:49 pm 

I'm really glad I was able to help... I only recently learned about mile-a-minute vine myself, and I was fortunate to hear about the biological control efforts at a conference just a couple of weeks ago.

Shucks... I answer questions like this all the time, and I don't think anyone's ever called me a "darling genius" before! :oops: :D

Good luck with controlling it. Like with any other weed, the key is persistence. Hopefully you'll have some beneficial insects to help you out before too long.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:19 am 

saccharum,
sorry to keep "bugging" you (pun intended)....but, do you have any idea WHERE I could get some mile-a-minute bugs? I'm willing to purchase them, or, allow my property to become a research area for the bugs!

slh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:29 pm 

Slh, the project is being led by a researcher at the University of Delaware. As I said, they just had their first release date last month, so I'm not sure that they're prepared to start distributing the insect to the public. But, tell you what, I'll send her an email and ask on your behalf. It never hurts to ask :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:09 pm 

Saccarum can i.d. anything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:03 pm 

Slh, if you're still interesting in partaking in the biological control program for mile-a-minute vine, check your private messages; I'm about to send you a message througth the website with some information.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:42 am 

You truely are an amazing guy, Saccharum! Got your private message = THANKS! I will contact Dr. Judy at Univ of Delaware. Thanks, and Thanks again.

slh

p.s. I don't know the dirtdoctor protocol for answering private messages. Should I have e-mailed you directly?