It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:12 am 

My experiment with gourds has greatly exceeded my expectations. Totally organic plot with 6 vines has produced 15-20 gourds per plant. Should I clip off the newer gourds to encourage larger size for existing gourds? I plan to craft Martin houses from the gourds after drying. My reading suggests that drying gourds without rotting is a challenge. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:53 am 

I'm sorry I can't offer any suggestions but YEAH FOR YOU!!! I think it is sooo cool that you are able to grow that many future birdhouse. ;) Okay, well, you piqued my curiousity and I went 'ahuntin'. I found this page http://www.americangourdsociety.org/FAQ/birdhouse.html with some neat info. Plus, I read elsewhere that if mold does grow on the gourd you can soak it in an ammonia solution and the yucky stuff will wash off with a stiff brush after it is dry. Sounds like you just need to drill your hole for the future occupant and leave out to dry in the heat for a couple of months. Oh, I also read somewhere that if you dry them in a shaded/heated location they will remain brighter in color than if they are dried in a sunny spot.

Best of luck to you! I am sooo envious!
Hugs, Nina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:27 pm 

During his radio talk show, Howard Garrett responded to this post. Paraphrased, his comments went something like this:
Clipping the new gourds does permit all the plant's engery to go into existing gourds. Drying the gourds is best done by leaving on the vine and allowing the gourds to dry naturally.