It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:17 pm 

Is there and all purpose fertilizer I can use for my potted plants? Something cheap? I top dress with my own compost, but should I be doing more? Also, have the same concern with all my perennial beds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:04 am 

If you feel you need more than the compost, you could use fish emulsion or sea kelp. These are gentle and contain trace elements too.

Newt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:55 pm 

Newt, I love your axiom at the end of your post. It seems to be so true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:53 am 

tjjohn;

Bioform Liquid works very well for potted plants. I started using that this year and have noticed tons of improvement in my plants. I also use it to soak the root balls of plants before planting them in beds. I have not lost a plant since using this technique. You can get the Bioform products at Lowes, Home Depot and most nurserys.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:48 pm 

tjjohn,

I have found a fun and effective method for keeping our potted plants happy...Buy an aquarium. We have had ours (a 29g Show fresh water) for almost 10 years now and our potted plants have never been happier. When you "clean" your tank every 2 weeks or so, simply water your plants with the fish water. Add to the plant's satisfaction your enjoyment of fish watching.

Other than that, you could:
- add a bit of Apple Cider Vinegar to your watering can
- the fish and seaweed emulsion tip is also good
- toss in a small handfull of your organic lawn fertilizer (not too much or too often)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:09 pm 

I use bio-form dry on everything and it works great for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:35 am 

Don't you put chemicals in the aquarium water? Wouldn't that then transfer to your plants?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject: Fertilizers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:09 pm 

I have to say my favorites are Bioform and then Hasta-Gro. My plants really like them and I tend to rotate fertilizers out of habit. Seaweed & fish emulsion are great but fish emulsion inside is just too much for me. Seaweed isn't complete but makes a great addition for regular maintenance.

I'm not into fish as pets so the aquarium thing is out for me, but it's a good idea! Don't know about the chemical follow through but hopefully they are few & dissipate quickly.

Anyone else care to share? :lol: :roll: :wink:
Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:48 am 

Hi All,
Just to clarify some things here, I think many of you are talking about the same thing when referring to fish emulsion, aquariam water and Bioform. Fish emulsion is the waste that fish produce. Bioform is fish emulsion and the water from the aquariam contains the fish waste, so it all appears to be the same thing.

The HostaGro's nitrogen is derived from urea, another waste product from mammals.

Kathie, I don't know which Garden-ville product you use, but some of them are also from mammal waste.

Isn't it woderful that 'waste' is so useful? :D

Dragonfly,
Glad you like my axiom. It's definately true in my garden!

Newt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:30 pm 

Not exactly. Bioform is organic fish and seaweed emulsion. Aquarium water does have fish waste in it but also contains the chemicals you use to maintain the water for the fish...not the same thing.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:42 am 

sandih wrote:
Not exactly. Bioform is organic fish and seaweed emulsion. Aquarium water does have fish waste in it but also contains the chemicals you use to maintain the water for the fish...not the same thing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry sandi, but I'm afraid I'll have to disagree. I would argue that there are very few off the shelf products that would be more "organic" than fish water which has be "cycled" through my aquarium.

I don't know what "chemicals" you refer to. I use two one is composed of bacteria to break down the ammonia and nitrites and the second is a conditioner which has aloe vera.

Post subject: Plant fertilizer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:05 pm 

My daughter stumbled onto the best fertilizer for plants that either of us has used: she poured the (unsalted) cooking water from potatoes over her houseplants after it had cooled. We have both had phenominal results with it, using both water from whole new potatoes and from peeled, cut-up ones with bits of potato in it. It produces noticeable results in a day or so. The price is right, too!
QMJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:46 pm 

QMJ,
You could also use cooled, unsalted veggie cooking water from any veggies as well as adding water to your empty milk container to water plants. I've been doing it for years and the plants love the calcium and vitamins and minerals. I also use the cooled water from poached, hard or soft boiled eggs.

Newt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:00 pm 

Wow, I never thought of that! What a great idea! :idea:

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan