It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: milk cow with dry skin
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:25 pm 

I milk a jersey cow off and on thru out the year, in the winter, she gets a really dry skinned udder. Now in July her skin is chalky. I use chapstick on her if she gets a cut or sore spot, but for the whole udder, what would be a moisturiser that would be safe for the calf that has access to her at all times?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:54 pm 

Okay, I am going to state for the record that I know absoluely nothing about cows. Purified Lanolin is something my wife used while feeding my youngest son when her nipples would get chapped from feeding. The only brand that comes to mind is Lanisol. This should be fine for the calf. You should be able to find it in the baby section of Wal-Mart.

My 2 Cents,
Chad

Post subject: dry skin
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:29 pm 

For what it is worth - Bag Balm from feed stores has been used for ever on cows.
Robert D Bard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:12 pm 

To add to Robert's post, feed stores in our area carry Udder Balm (might be the same stuff). Lots of people also use it for dry skin on themselves.

Post subject: Milk Cow
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:38 pm 

Oh my stars & garters! :shock: I never heard of someone using chapstick on a cow. Most chapstick formulas are petroleum product based and not only do they not moisturize the skin, they form a moisture barrier and it messes up the natural skin oil moisture her bag might produce. Rotten how they fool you with a moisture barrier and then zap you with the end results. It becomes a self perpetuating problem.

Your best bet would be udder balm or some other natural oil cream. Lanolin is an ingredient in various formulations of udder balm but it does cause allergic reaction in some cases so be aware of that. Udder balm is also inexpensive and your hands will thank you too.

There is denatured olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Honey is good for sore skin, also. The original udder balm ingredients include A & D vitamins for the skin plus aloe which is also helpful. Check www.udderbalm.com
Good luck with the moo-cow! I always did like those old girls.
Kathe :D