It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: This Newguy...
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:33 am 

Hello-
I'm the current newest newguy.

Found this place while looking for "rotating compost bin plans"... I'm prolly going to try to make one from a 5 gallon bucket. My daily organic waste amounts to some coffee grounds and a handfull of waste greenery, so there's not much to throw in there.

Lots of unusual stuff around the house- most grown from seed. I usually look in the produce section for the "strange" stuff, plant the seeds and wait. Most of the time I get lucky and something grows.

So far there's a pile of voodoo lily's, some cherimoias, chocolate vines, kiwis, passion flowers, tomatoes, strawberries.... Various "common" fruit trees... Laceleaf maples...

Anyway, that's me.

Post subject: HOWDY
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:56 am 

Krstofer,

Sorry for the delay in welcoming you to the DirtDoctor so consider it done.

I'm am going to move your post on composting over to the Compost Forum so you get a better viewing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:46 pm 

Hello! I think you must be single! Not much comes out of your kitchen for composting!! Good luck w/ your composting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:23 pm 

Hello to you too Debby,

You have such great intuition. How on Earth did you know I was single? Wait, Wait !!...You were writing to me, right? :lol:

Your observation, however is right-on. My compost materials are coffee ground and toss-out veggies from the store. I run the veggies through my remotely installed garbage disposal by the compost pile. It chops it up real good and dumps it into an old wash tub where it sits fermenting for a day or two. Then I pour off the water to make compost tea and the chopped, or should I say 'sliced and diced', solids go into the pile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:04 am 

Oh my gosh what a great idea. First time I've heard of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:22 pm 

Thanks Debby :lol:

Given the roll around frame, plumbing for the garden hose, the electric hook-up and the discharge storage containers with strainers, I'd like to get a patent on the application. Shucks, look at the bucks folks put out for BBQ Pits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:47 am 

While I'm not single, my girlfriend lives 800 miles away and thus doesn't contribute much to the pile.
Mostly it's just coffee grounds and the ocasional fruit rind or somesuch. Recently however I've come across a good source of seed containing Starfruit so I've been pullin' those out and chucking the rest. (one can only eat so many starfruit a day) Starfruits are part of the 'sensative plant' group so their leaflets fold when touched.
I've got a bunch of Cherimoias and Lychee-nuts sprouting as well, but I've never been able to get the Lychee's to live more than a few months. Too dry for them here I think.

I need to get one of those garbage-disposal setups... I wonder if I could find a used one at a yardsale? I planted a bunch of radishes and carots in my voodoo-lily pots... The radishes didn't do anything but get tall and flower and the carots taste like chemicals. Too much fertilizer, I guess. So someday soon I'm going to pull them all and running them through a disposal setup would be pretty trick.

I've also found that I need a bigger composting container.. 5 galons isn't quite big enough, but I don't want 35+ galons or something as I'll never be able to move it if it's even 1/2 full. So... I've been looking for a 15 galon something but it seems none are to be had save for the galvi baby-trashcans. I'm not sure how long they'll last and if I do go that route I'd imagine I'll have to paint it black to get the solar heating action going.
Any thoughts from the experts?
I'm afraid that even a 15 galon galvi container might ne too heavy for me to move if it's half full. (Difficult to lift large even might-be-heavy things from a wheelchair..)

So we'll see what I come up with. For now I have the excess compostables stored in another 5 gallon bucket.

Post subject: Disposal
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:28 am 

Krestofer,

Regarding the disposal, try finding someone who is doing a kitchen remodel and use it or if you have a Habitat For The Humanities that have an outlet store you can usually find them there. That's where I take my good/old stuff I take out of people's homes for others to use in theirs. Resale moneys go toward buying new materials for the homes they build for those who have qualifing low incomes.

If you are a fairly good handyman you can figure out the plumbing and electrical hooks-ups. If not, find someone or e-mail me and I'll see if I can be of any help.

What is 'starfruit' or another name for it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:14 pm 

Zipper, Where did you mount the disposer? On the side of your compost bin? That is a good idea to grind up things so they will decompose faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:20 pm 

Zipper, I would also like to know all the details of the garbage disposal set up. It sounds like a great idea.