It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:09 am 

I recently fertilized my lawn 5 weeks ago with Miracle Grow 29-4-3. The lawn is predominantly St. Augustine with Bermuda mix. It looked great until about a week and half ago. Some areas of the St. Augustine tips are turning light green to almost a yellow shade. The Bermuda looks great and my next door neighbors lawn which is all St Augustine looks fantastic. This happened to me last year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:14 pm 

First, I recommend you search through this website. Great information on how to fertilize your yard, grass, trees, flowers etc... without using synthetic chemicals such as Miracle grow. I no longer use miracle grow as it is only a short fix which causes more longterm harm than good to the lawn. Usually, high nitrogen fertilizers cause rapid growth, and do not allow for the proper absorbsion of nutrients, hence some of the yellowing. Additionally, it causes many problems with the microbes and other good biologicals in the soil ie earthworms. Check out the site, especially lawn care. work on the yard this year and you will be a believer next year. Good luck and have fun the more you learn the cooler this stuff is.

Ps. add to your profile where you are this will help others focus on your type of soil/weather/unique issues. I find lawn care different here in San Antonio than when I lived in Houston, and others may know your area better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:01 pm 

Wow, dustoff79...I must compliment you on a very well phrased bit of advice. Bravo! :D

Yes, friend, the Miracle Gro is a short term chemical fix that in fact probably mostly washed off your yard and into the water system. You could try spreading or spraying liquid molasses and cornmeal to bring the soil back to a healthy condition, which might well adjust the pH and get the iron into your turf from the soil.

If you want to do it the easiest way, get a good organic fertilizer and spread it. Bioform Dry is my favorite. No, it won't burn like the ones you are used to...organic fertilizers don't burn. One with sulfur in it will help with the yellowing problem a bit more quickly. But remember to use an ORGANIC fertilizer, not just another chemical fertilizer that will wash away and leave you in the same condition in a month but with less cash in your pocket. Dustoff is right...the more you learn the more fun it is!

Good luck!
Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:09 pm 

Thanks for the advice guys. BTW I changed my profile to reflect where I am. Fort Worth Tx.

Tony

Post subject: OMG
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:41 am 

i never thought i would join a lawncare forum..(mostly because i've lived in an apartment for the last 7 years.) I finally have a yard to play with and nurture. It was in terrible shape when i moved in and is slowly getting better through very tedious care. Digging out weeds by hand really is a back breaker. Anyway, i have roughly a 15x6 patch of St. Augustine growing out from the edge my house, It is yellowed but slowly(very) becoming greenish. I've read through the forums here and noticed alot of people prefer BIOFORM DRY to correct this problem. Also spraying molasses or spreading cornmeal will help as well? I just want to know what these processes actually do to the grass to make it greener. Also, I can't figure out what kind of weeds i have in my yard, they're ugly little buggers and are all throughout the front yard in front of the Augustine. If i need to take a picture i will. i'd like to know so as to get rid of them and make way for the good stuff. Any info is appreciated. Also, there is little or no shade in my front yard and i have those nasty sandspurs. i've read that immproving the health of the soil will eventually get rid of these. Is this true and is there a faster way other than diggin' em out?

.raetsel
austin, tx