It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:07 pm 

Majority of my lawn is planted in Buffalograss ( Love it ). I have a small area where Bermuda grass is growing. If I sod with Buffalograss next to the Bermuda, will the Bermuda evidentally take over? Any suggestions? I would hate to have to get rid of the Bermuda.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:14 pm 

Well I'm curious. What do you love about the buffalo grass? Maybe I need to take a road trip to see a good stand of it :D

Unless you are doing something different, the bermuda will take over from the buffalo.

Post subject: Bufallo Grass
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:50 am 

It looks bueatiful when it's in it's full height of 6" blowing in the wind. Not having to mow but 2-3 times year and hardly ever watering makes this a very low maintenance lawn. I use the Corn Gluten Meal spring and fall mostly for weed control. We live on a 1 acre lot and have planted all Texas native plants and the Buffalo Grass compliments our landscape. Please come by and see, we live in Burlesonwhich is south of Ft. Worth.

Post subject: Re: Bufallo Grass
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:22 am 

BeerBasket wrote:
It looks bueatiful when it's in it's full height of 6" blowing in the wind. Not having to mow but 2-3 times year and hardly ever watering makes this a very low maintenance lawn. I use the Corn Gluten Meal spring and fall mostly for weed control. We live on a 1 acre lot and have planted all Texas native plants and the Buffalo Grass compliments our landscape. Please come by and see, we live in Burlesonwhich is south of Ft. Worth.

Maybe you can help us since you have Buffalo grass. We have a few acres near Ranger, TX. We want to start some grass on the small area we will be useing as a weekend place. The area has been bull dozed and it gets a fair amount of sun. There is quite a bit of sand. Can we put out Buffalo grass in this area and expect it to live? What kind of prep does the ground need and is a lot watering needed to get it started? Just want some grass and don't know what grows in this area. Thanks so much!

Post subject: Buffalo Grass
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:06 am 

I live in Burleson and my soil is a sandy loam and the grass is doing great. Soil prep ligthly rough up area where you want to plant. I planted sod the "609" which I got at Turfgrass America. Sod does much better then seed although it it is more expensive initially. I watered every day for 2 weeks, after that none. Last year I cut 3 times, so far this year twice. You will get more weeds then the other grasses but I have been using Corn Gluten Meal fall and spring for weed control and the weeds are much better. I do not have an sprinkler system and have not had to water once the grass was established. Hope this answers your questions