It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Unknown Insects.
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:36 am 

Okay before anyone asks I do not have any pictures yet. If I can get some I will post them, though these insects are very small.

I have two different insects I am concerned with. One is winged, light green, relatively long legs, and about 2mm maybe 3mm in length. The second is a bright yellow, short legs, 1-2mm in length, and live in bunches.

The first insect I found in a large clump of some viney weed with little purple flowers. The second insect I found at the base of my oleander leaves.

The first insect I literally found thousands of them when I was pulling that viney weed up. :shock: That is no joke either.

Chad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:22 pm 

does the green one look like this?

http://www.clemson.edu/hort/homehort/bigrlace.htm

If not, can you talk about whether they have wongs, any markings etc?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:22 pm 

does the green one look like this?

http://www.clemson.edu/hort/homehort/bigrlace.htm

If not, can you talk about whether they have wings, any markings etc?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:40 pm 

Yes, they have wings but they do not look like a Lacewing. Their wings are barely longer than their bodies and appear to be only a single set. They are close to the lacewing in color but they seem a brighter shade of green. They are very small, thinking about it more I maybe off on the size they are closer to 1-2mm, so giving a lot of detail is hard.

Chad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:16 pm 

what about this? This one has no wings but different species (250 differnt species) can have wings too, and they come in many colors.

http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/okwild/misc/grnaph.html

Recognizing aphids. Aphids range in size from 1.5 to 3.5 mm. in length although the largest aphid in northeastern America, the giant bark aphid (Logistigma caryae) is 6 mm. long (Borror et al. 1976). Aphids are pear-shaped, globose, ovate, spindle-shaped or elongate in shape and vary greatly in their body markings and color (black, grey, red, orange, yellow, green, brown, blue-green, white-marked, wax-covered, etc.). Single species may have several color forms and variable shapes. Aphids may be winged (alate) or wingless (apterous). Winged forms are usually triggered by environmental changes (i.e. decreasing photoperiod or temperature, deterioration of the host plant or overcrowding).

The body is distinctly segmented and the head and prothorax are usually separate. The head bears a pair of 5- to 6-segmented antennae and mouthparts modified for sucking plant juices. On the back of the fifth abdominal segment, a pair of tube-like structures called 'siphunculi' or 'cornicles' are present on most aphid species. These structures secrete a defensive fluid. The back end of the body (posterior) bears the cauda, and anal plats. The shape, size and hairs (setae) associated with these structures are important characters for aphid species identification.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan