It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:28 pm 

It's bad this year -- goes to seedheads quickly!
Pulling it is a pain and vinegar takes just as long! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:59 pm 

I have no idea what it is, but if I had it last year I sure didn't notice any of it. Mine started showing up in early march and soon after most of it (say.. 80% of it) started getting this white powdery looking residue all over it. Within the last 2 weeks or so it's been seeding a lot, as you mention. I'm hoping that it will die off when temps start getting higher. Otherwise there's going to be a lot of pulling and cussing going on. :x

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:11 am 

It looks kind of like Dallis grass to me, but I can't tell for sure - the blades don't look as flat & pointed at the ends as Dallis grass does.

I'm currently fighting the Dallis grass battle in the front yard :x I dont' want to use the vinegar on it, because I don't want to kill the good stuff, but MAN! That Dallis grass is one huge pain to get out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:19 pm 

Dallisgrass can be seen here: http://www.psu.missouri.edu/fishel/dallisgrass1.htm

It's not that, but thanks.

I hope someone chimes in. The seed heads remind me of miniature wheat seed heads (albeit green and not brown).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:12 pm 

I did about 3 hours worth of pulling this stuff yesterday afternoon. After a good watering it's not to bad to pull unless it's deep in your existing turf.

While I was pulling, it occurred to me that the areas where it's most prevalent are areas where I added my own compost last year in order to help with soil compaction. Might be a coincidence, might be that the st. augustine is struggling in said area, but I'm not so sure. The five gallon bucket that I filled with this stuff went into the trash. Hot piles killing weed seed or not, I won't lose a lick of sleep over this particular wasted green material! I could easily go another 12 hours and not be rid of the stuff in my back yard. :P

UGH!!

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:02 pm 

Looks like i got the same thing. Not sure what to do about it....it is spreading like crazy. I am attempting to control before the seed heads pop up, but they are fast!!!

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this stuff?

-Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:29 pm 

I call it rye grass (Lolium multiflorum/perenne maybe?) and it really bites. I would go around to each tuff of it with an oxacetaline torch and turn the soil beneath it to glass (I’m kidding but I have considered it). This grass has long been my arch nemesis in my Bermuda/St Augustine grass lawn. Some how it will over power Bermuda in the heat of the summer and only but the thickest of St. Augustine will choke it out. Putting down corn gluten meal (to stop new seeds from germinating) every 2 to 3 months may help. You can break your back trying to pull it all up or live with it. I’ve been trying to get rid of it for the past 9 years. Some years I beat the heck outa the rye grass and some years it beats the heck outa me. I guess the question you gota ask yourself is how good are you at the Ropa Dope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:15 am 

Oy! that's not what I wanted to hear, epi.. :shock: I know this stuff wasn't around like this last year. Grrr..

Does anyone else's develop a white residue? Some of mine does after it's matuerd a bit. Or at least I haven't seen any of it on new growth. About two weeks ago a lot of it had the residue and it'd sort of start to how signs of dying off on it own. Lately less of it is showing any. When my henbit started dying off a few weeks ago it had the same residue and now it's virtually gone from the lawn. Any ideas what that's about?

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:35 am 

That's definitely it, epi.
More CGM is a good idea, too. While it will certianly feed what's there, it will stop the d@mn seeds from doing more damage... :wink: I think I'll do a major vinegar spray too because it does not really harm my St. Aug. much compared to the rye.

Is this what is sown as winter rye on lawns around here, by chance?? My neighbor 2 doors down did this for the second winter now and my lawn with the worst of it is the side closest to his yard. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:03 pm 

Bill! Did I read that right? Vinegar isn't harming your St. Augustine much?

Anxiously awaiting reply.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:51 pm 

Soils Alive -- thanks -- see you next winter! :wink:

AMG -- yes... absolutely... the vinegar (I use 10% w/ nothing else) does not hurt the St. Aug. much, esp. at this time of year. You may get some browning, but in a well established lawn the root stock is more than enough to bring it back as the days get longer and warmer.

I will fire away this Saturday and followup Sunday w/ CGM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:22 pm 

Hrmmm.. Is the vinegar application stopping the germination process or is it supposed to be working on established, currently growing poa? Would an application of CGM immediately following first frost stop this stuff from germinating as well? I'm thinking that would be the more economical route if it in fact works on this stuff - at least at the prices I recall paying for 20% vinegar.

Tomorrow afternoon I'll be going after a small section with vinegar and will follow up with another run of CGM. I'm all for keeping chems out of my lawn and everyone else's watershed, but when exactly is this supposed to be the cheaper road to travel? :P

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:58 am 

Good question DCluck... upon re-reading the Soils Alive post it talks about the vinegar blast after first frost, then it talks about control when the poa is small, which is in late winter. Two different times of year!

I'm doing the vinegar now to kill the grass and the CGM to boost the St. Aug where I have sprayed. I also think that this Sept I'll go extra heavy on the CGM in the bad areas, and do it extra heavy in Feb as well.

Update: see about it at TAMU: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/turf/publications/weed16.html

Preemergent control is stressed at other sites too. So, I'm adding CGM this Dec for a try. Also, we had a wet, cool spring and that's ideal conditions for it according to that link.

Finally, I did try that new commercial crabgrass product -- it's primarily potassium bicarb w/ cinnamon -- and it worked. The poa turmed black 2 days later and it does not harm St. Aug. But it only comes in a shaker container the size of a qt of milk and it's incredibly expensive -- about $14! Anybody know of bulk potassium bicarb sources??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:51 pm 

Thanks, Bill. The vinegar I have is the 20% (which apparently is all Lowes carries and since Mom was there & picking up the tab.....). I've found it in my front yard too - need to get out there and yank it up. Along with the blasted Dallis grass....grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:00 am 

Is this poa annua the same thing as crabgrass?

What does crabgrass look like?

Will the same methods work on both, to get rid of 'em?

Thanks for the help!