It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Watering.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:33 am 

I know you are supposed to water deeply and infrequently. The problem I have is how to water a 15,000 sq ft front lawn all at the same time? My water pressure is okay but more on the low end of the average, and setting up an in ground system is way too expensive. So are there any recommendations on how to accomplish this? Types of sprinklers, a way to increase the pressure, etc... Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Chad Wilson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:27 pm 

HYDRATAIN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:51 pm 

Chad-
Have you really thought about what you are trying to do? 15000 is a big lawn. What do you have now and how are you keeping it maintained? Once you solve the problem of watering it you have to face up to the water bills, more frequent cutting, fertilizer, etc.
I'm not trying to deny anyone a lawn but you mentioned an expense issue - it's just beginning!
I have about 30-40000 feet around my house and I just keep it cut rather short. It looks fine but it is not a single species lawn. I have and have planted some beautiful trees which keeps your eyes up off the grass. That's what people notice when they come to my house.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:13 pm 

Quote:
I have about 30-40000 feet around my house and I just keep it cut rather short. It looks fine but it is not a single species lawn. I have and have planted some beautiful trees which keeps your eyes up off the grass. That's what people notice when they come to my house.

Me too, I am more just trying to even out my lawn. I have been on my acre lot for about five years. I have a few flower beds, three Bradford Pears(in ground one year and doing wonderful), several Crepe Myrtles, Bottle Brush Trees(very pretty and cool plant), Rose bushes, Elephant Ears, etc... I also have a nice big veggie garden in the back. My grass is more of a pasture grass and it is very clumpy I keep it cut regularly and at my highest setting but I still have a weed issue. I was thinking of seeding Bermuda for its fondness of the sun, drought tolerance, and aggressive nature(choke them weeds). I would like to water it occasionally, to keep it green but as you know it is very hard to do such a large area.

I was not even thinking of doing my whole acre. I would just like to do part of it. :cry:

I wish I had the money to do my whole acre I can think of lots of things to do on it to make it look very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:14 am 

www.accurain.com is a system that we are looking at and you only have to dig a few trenches as opposed to the whole yard with a traditional sprinkler system. Plus, if you choose to add garden beds, trees, birdbaths, etc. the system is robotic so you can program different depths of watering for each zone.

just a thought.
christina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:44 pm 

Whoa! That is the weirdest thing I've seen in a LONG time! Thanks for the post. I'm glad they had a video or I wouldn't have believed it.

Have you seen the Nelson Rain Train sprinkler before? I tried to post a picture but apparently pictures aren't working??? Anyway, it moves along in a pattern you establish with the hose.

Go to

http://www.lrnelson.com/lgarden/product ... in/hub.htm

and click on any of the three models to see what it looks like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:42 am 

Glad you liked that one, I am seriously considering the robotic sprinkler! I think it would be great. I have one of these rain trains already and to be honest, they are prettty good. However, I have had many occasions where (for one reason or another) the darn thing will tip over and then just water vertically until I shut off the water. And, if I pull a large clump of weeds then the tractor sometime tips over or gets stuck in the hole if I don't fill in the hole correctly. If you have a superbly level lawn that doesn't get boggy then this would be a good inexpensive sprinkler if you have the time to set up the path and rewind the hose when it is done. As for me - well, I am just plain lazy and the hose gets left out on the yard for days until I finally break down and put it up.

:) LOL
Christina