It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Question for David Hall
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:07 pm 

David,
I read in a post of yours http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2500, that you can get a 50# bag of corn meal for $6.50 at a feed store. I am trying to be as economical as can be with my first home. I have 1 acre, so it adds up real fast. Where is the feed store that has it for this cost. I live in Fort Worth area but also work in Southwest Dallas off of I-20 and Camp Wisdom. I am limited to what I can do with my low budget. I have committed myself to starting with bi-weekly applications of mollasses, use of vinegar sprays, regular use of compast tea, and formulas of compost tea for fire ants and such. I also intend to do bi-annual applications of CGM in Spring for Fall and Fall for Spring. I would also like to do a bi-monthly application of corn meal. That is approximately 400 pounds of it every other month, a whopping 8 bags. The cheaper the better. I just want a beautiful lush lawn of bermuda with minimal weeds. I appreciate your sharing of your feed store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:56 am 

Hello and welcome to the Dirt Doctor forum. And a special thank you for reading the forum before asking a question. There are a lot of people who jump right in and ask the same question that was asked a couple days ago.

The $6.50 price is the highest I've seen in San Antonio. I recently found it for more like $3.75 at Lubianski's mill in New Berlin. Neither one of those is going to work for you.

Look in your yellow pages for feed stores and call around. If they don't have it, ask them who might have it. Pay special attention to co-op stores. I buy molasses from a friend who gets it from a co-op for $0.10 per pound ($1.10 per gallon). If you shop around you can fit your budget.