It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: CGM
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:28 am 

I have been reading posts on this site for awhile and was wondering when are the best times to put CGM on lawns here in Houston? I apologize if this question was posted before. I am somewhat new to the organic community at least in terms of lawn care. I have used that Scotts line of fertilizer and weed killers and they never work. I saw the Dirt Doctor on our local weekend news talking about Garret Juice. I have been using that on my peach trees with amazing results. Hopefully the CGM will stop those irritating weeds from germinating. Thanks for any advice.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:31 pm 

you missed the cgm time frame, you can try www.crabgrassalert.com for post emergant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:05 pm 

You have missed the spring CGM application, which in N. Texas is mid-Feb to early March. That application controls late summer and fall weeds.

The mid-Sept to early Oct application is for control of spring and early summer weeds.

Having lived in Houston, but only as a renter, I am well aware that you only have about 3 weeks a year when you do not have to mow your lawns... :lol: You do not get the winter dormancy like we do here.

Spring stuff like henbit and clover and dandelions, etc. have been popping up the past 3 weeks or so here. So, when did they start showing up down there?

Best guess may be, subtract 6 months from that and apply CGM later this summer there?? Ditto for fall weeds there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:25 pm 

I applied CGM on the 10th of October last year and this was apparently way too late for me. I've never had so much henbit and other weeds. Healthy as all get out weeds! :evil:

This year I'll make sure to get it down in the last two weeks of September.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:54 pm 

DCluck... even though I hit the window last fall, I have noticed the henbit waaaaaay more than last spring. Since the St. Aug smothers it within a month I am not worrying. I also notice the clover MUCH more this year, but I'm Irish so I welcome it... :wink:

Bottom line is that my diversely green spring lawn is still greener than anyone else around me here in M-Streets -- except, of course, the winter rye people w/ Greenlawn chemicals, who will be trying to nurture a dying transition to summer grass in 4-6 weeks and wondering what the secret is~!

People sleep at night. Soil should sleep in winter 'round here... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:08 pm 

I don't mind henbit so much or clover at all, but this year I've got this "bunch" grass looking weed that's everywhere. It's fast growing and already taller than my turf. About 70% of it has this white powdery residue on it and it's not showing any signs of giving ground. New stuff is popping up daily. In some areas, it's so thick that I can't tell that I even have any st. augustine. Grrr..

On the other hand my lawn already looks greener and more lush than just about any other st. augustine lawn I've seen in my neighborhood. And that's with st. augustine decline to boot. :?

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:00 pm 

Does that "bunch" grass of yours go to seed quickly? I have way more this year too! Do not know what grass it is.

I am going to try potassium bicarb on it and see what happens.