It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: can I use lemon oil?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:17 am 

Can I use lemon oil in place of orange oil? :?: I have looked in almost every store in my area and the best I can do is "orange oil" cleaners and lemon oil.

I am wanting to use this in the herbacide: vinegar, orange oil and soap.

If I don't find it by the weekend my hubby is going to use the round up and I don't want that. :(

Thanks
Kelly

Post subject: Lemon oil instead?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:52 am 

Don't worry so much about the lemon or orange oil. I have used real lemon concentrate in my spray as an experiment, but really didn't get that much different results from just the vinegar and soap mix. If the lemon oil has no petroleum in it, it should do fine. You can always experiment on a small patch and see! Report back to us!

There are stores in your area that have orange oil; call around to 2 or 3 places and see who carries it. Try a few Lowe's and see if they have the organic set that several stores have adopted. There is a Medina orange oil in there. I know several Lowe's in that area have it, but not all of them. Try the one in Katy.

Good luck and remember it works because it is a natural acid mix; it will therefore burn any greenery it lands on. If you cover it well, it will burn up anything within a day. On a full sun day, it only takes a few hours.

Tell hubby to be patient; vinegar will kill the weeds but not you or your pets. Round up will kill a dog in short order.

Kathe :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:43 am 

Sad to say I can find no stores in Richmond/Rosenberg that carry orange oil. And I have been to most of them including the Houston Garden Center and Home Depot. My husband drove the 50miles to Lowes yesterday and found the Orange Oil.

Now I am having trouble finding 10% vinegar. Am on my way to Wal-Mart. If they don't have it then it is another 50miles to Lowes for the 20%.

Geez I had no idea it would be so much work just to get the ingreadants.

Post subject: vinegar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:44 am 

To save you some driving, try checking your grocery stores for pickling vinegar. It should be 10%.

While typing this response I had a wild thought. Could the vinegar from pickles & other pickled products be used on weeds, etc? Would beat dumping it down drain.

Post subject: Re: vinegar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:01 pm 
KHWOZ wrote:
To save you some driving, try checking your grocery stores for pickling vinegar. It should be 10%.

While typing this response I had a wild thought. Could the vinegar from pickles & other pickled products be used on weeds, etc? Would beat dumping it down drain.

I checked all of the grocery stores in Richmond/Rosenberg for pickling vinegar, no luck. However we did find it in East Bernard.

I had the same thought about pickles..LOL

Post subject: Pickle juice for weeds
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:08 pm 

Okay, since you brought it up...and since I am ever trying the goofy experiments...I tried using pickle juice. It didn't work well.

From what I understand, after it's been used on the pickles it loses some of its' oomph so it doesn't burn. Plus it has herbs and salt in it too, and the vinegar we use for weed killing doesn't. It's chemically toned down too much to work. :cry:

At least I know that I'm not the lone stranger... :roll: trying to use pickle juice for weeds! But hey, we've found out all kinds of good things that way!

Post subject: Pickle Experiments
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:12 pm 

Forgot something...we used the juice from different types of pickles in the experiment. This was a few years ago. None of them worked; Kosher dill, regular dill, bread & butter, sweet, hot, etc. But we had a lot of fun eating the discardable parts! :shock:

Who says science isn't fun? :lol:

Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:32 am 

I'm pretty sure lemon oil is mineral oil with a dash of lemon oil for fragrance.

Orange oil should be pure d-limonene which is cold pressed from citrus skins.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:05 am 

Kathe Kitchens wrote:
Okay, since you brought it up...and since I am ever trying the goofy experiments...I tried using pickle juice. It didn't work well.

At least I know that I'm not the lone stranger... :roll: trying to use pickle juice for weeds! But hey, we've found out all kinds of good things that way!

So glad to hear from someone who has tried it....will save me the trouble...LOL

I did finaly find everything I needed for the weed killer. Sprayed the area that I needed dead. Went to a fund raiser came home to find that everywhere I had sprayed was dead in just few hours. My husband is now sold on using vinegar to kill weeds and is telling all his friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:38 am 

Another potential source for the specific brand Orange TKO is your local grocery store. Our Tom Thumb grocery carries Pet TKO (I believe that is how the label reads) in the pet aisle. Texas TKO http://www.texastko.com also carries Orange TKO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:03 am 

[quote="Mr. Clean"]Another potential source for the specific brand [i]Orange TKO[/i] is your local grocery store. Our Tom Thumb grocery carries Pet TKO (I believe that is how the label reads) in the pet aisle. Texas TKO [url]www.texastko.com[/url] also carries Orange TKO.[/quote]

Mr. Clean

I read about the pet TKO in another post and did check many of my local stores for it. Unfortanly none of them had it. We do not have Tom Thumb in our area. Do you think that HEB might carry it? HEB is much closer then Lowes....at least until they finish building the new one in Rosenberg...counthing the days. LOL

My husband did make the drive to Lowes and picked up the Orange Oil and we found the pickeling vinegar in the tiny town of East Berard at only $2.50 a gallon, which is a much better price then I have seen posted here.

I sprayed the area I wanted killed on Sat morning about 7:30, went to a fund raiser came home about 5:30 and the area was completly dead. Hubby is now sold on this mixture and is telling everyone about it. The only thing I found not killed on first application was nut grass but that is o.k. because I am digging out the area for a flower bed and my garden claw digs past the depth of the nut grass bulb.

Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:09 pm 

mrscro wrote:
I read about the pet TKO in another post and did check many of my local stores for it. Unfortanly none of them had it. We do not have Tom Thumb in our area. Do you think that HEB might carry it? HEB is much closer then Lowes....at least until they finish building the new one in Rosenberg...counthing the days. LOL

It can't hurt to call ahead and ask. Hopefully you can find someone locally who carries it. If not, go ahead and contact the good folks at Texas TKO. I really like the Orange TKO product. It appears pricey, but the manner in which it can be diluted and still be effective actually makes it quite cost efficient.

mrscro wrote:
I sprayed the area I wanted killed on Sat morning about 7:30, went to a fund raiser came home about 5:30 and the area was completly dead. Hubby is now sold on this mixture and is telling everyone about it.

Good news, spread the word :D The areas may require re-treatment, but you will likely win the war.

mrscro wrote:
The only thing I found not killed on first application was nut grass but that is o.k. because I am digging out the area for a flower bed and my garden claw digs past the depth of the nut grass bulb.

Now for the bad news, I don't think you will have much luck with the vinegar/orange oil/soap solution to tackle your nut sedge. If it is in a bed, you will need to physically remove it, and mulch heavily. If you are lucky, the nuts will begin to sprout in the mulch, and then they are quite easy to pull out. Don't work it back into the soil or you will just push the nut down further and compound your problem.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:11 am 
Quote:
Now for the bad news, I don't think you will have much luck with the vinegar/orange oil/soap solution to tackle your nut sedge. If it is in a bed, you will need to physically remove it, and mulch heavily. If you are lucky, the nuts will begin to sprout in the mulch, and then they are quite easy to pull out. Don't work it back into the soil or you will just push the nut down further and compound your problem.

Thanks for the advice on Nut Sage. I have had lots experence with it and under stand it is a bulb and if I leave the bulb it will just come back and spread. My plan for this bed is after I finish digging it out about 3-4 inches to frame it with landscape timbers and fill with fresh topsoil, I am also planing on mixing corn meal in the new soil before I plant. Then after I plant my 3 roses and my few other plants. I will mulch with a bagged mulch that I can get at Wal-Mart. After that is done I will pull and dig out any weeds that decide to come up.

Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:53 am 

Anonymous wrote:
My plan for this bed is after I finish digging it out about 3-4 inches to frame it with landscape timbers and fill with fresh topsoil,

Kelly, Just a thought regarding this phase of your plan...First, generally I think the preferred method would be to ammend your existing soil rather than bringing in a non-native soil. Second, rather than using landscape timbers which may have been treated with some noxious chemicals to retard rot; use something more permanent such as stone (manmade, ie. Pavestone or natural).

Anonymous wrote:
I am also planing on mixing corn meal in the new soil before I plant.

Good plan.

Anonymous wrote:
I will mulch with a bagged mulch that I can get at Wal-Mart.

Cedar mulch?

Anonymous wrote:
After that is done I will pull and dig out any weeds that decide to come up.

With a nice thick layer of cedar mulch, hopefully those weeds will be few and far between. Enjoy your new flower bed and it's occupants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:04 am 
Quote:
Kelly, Just a thought regarding this phase of your plan...First, generally I think the preferred method would be to ammend your existing soil rather than bringing in a non-native soil. Second, rather than using landscape timbers which may have been treated with some noxious chemicals to retard rot; use something more permanent such as stone (manmade, ie. Pavestone or natural).

The reason I am digging first is I am making the bed in an area that is grassy and I want to get rid of much grass a possible first. I am also going to do a thick layer of newspaper to help keep that darn grass from coming up. Unfortanly I have allready bought the landscape timbers, maybe in the future I will be able to change over to stone.

Quote:
Cedar mulch?

Yes I was thinking about cedar mulch.

This is the first bed I have made and am hoping to do it right. I am making the bed raised...so hubby will resit the urge to mow right over my plants(been there had it happen) and with the raised bed I am hoping the vinegar weed killer will work on keeping it grass free on the outside....so hubby does not have to weedeat around it....have it keep it as trouble free for him as possible or he will drive me nuts....LOL :wink:

Kelly