It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:44 pm 

Trying to identify this shrub. My neighbor had it near the property line. It draped over my side in a "willowy" shape. The branches drooped low to the ground. The bush was about 8-10 feet tall, spread to about 8 feet. The leaves were medium to dark green, shiny on the upper surface and silvery white on the lower surface. They were oval shaped, and alternate on the stem (I think). It had fragrant, tiny white blossoms, mostly in the summertime. It had a small oval berry, I think the berry was bluish color then turned pale red. The berries were plentiful on the tree when it was cut down, March 13th, and have been on the tree for some time.

3/17 update... May be a cultivar of American Holly... can anyone tell me which of the 1000+ varieties it could be? If it is a hybrid, can I reproduce it from seed at all? Thanks!

Addendum: I have searched extensively and finally, in Howard's Plants for Texas book, I think I have found the answer. The photo in the book is small, so I have looked on the web for images and info on this plant to confirm this, and think it may be correct. What I think I have is a variety of Oleaster, Elaeagnus macrophylla . Can anyone confirm this? Please respond if you can, and thanks for all who have looked at my post. That brings us to another question. Does anyone have a good recipe for Elaeagnus jelly?