It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sunflowers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:45 pm 

I was browsing the Seeds of Change '04 catalog and came upon the selection of sunflower seeds. I have a large area along a fence that gets full sun and thinking of planting sunflowers along this fence. I have no experience with sunflowers.

Can anyone tell me of any particular variety that is easy to grow and beautiful? You know, the ultimate wish come true :D

Also, are they one of the many plants that deer like to graze?

Any insight or suggetions would be very much appreciated! -

Thanks,
Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:27 pm 

This year I am going to try some 'Giant Greystripe' sunflowers. I planted some seeds, in a seed starting try, after Christmas and they are now approx 10" tall. I had to transplant them into containers because they are growing so fast. I hope to be able to plant them out side within the next couple of weeks. This the first year for these. The birds sure like the seeds in the winter. I hang the heads from my front porch and watch the birds as they pick the seeds out and eat them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:22 pm 

Greg, I was wondering about the birds and how they might actually be attracted to the seeds. In fact that was one of the things I first wondered about. Great idea about hanging them where you can watch them come up. It might be a little late but I might try some in starter trays too and just see what the deer do as they get a bit mature. Will see if I can find a picture of the ones you are growing. Thanks for the input!