It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tulip bulbs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:35 am 

I have put fifty red tulip bulbs in for the first time. :D I am excited about seeing them come up but have a few questions. I put cedar mulch on top of them but only about an inch. How much mulch can they come up through? Is a certain amount needed? We went and improved the beds and raised them before planting with the texas lava green sand mixture and the beds went from hard as rock to really very workable, but still worried about drainage we raised the center of the beds about six inches and planted the bulbs there. My father bought the bulbs in Michigan and they are big and beautiful ... now if I don't mess them up. I wish I had found this forum before planting. How much should I water them? My sister insisted I soak them at least once, but I planted them in the rain and it rained for a day or so. I didn't water them, figured the rain was enough, now I wonder. :?: Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:12 pm 

You do not want to cover them up too much they will rot. Make sure the top of the bulb (the callous part) is exposed.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:20 pm 

Has anyone else on the forum had any luck with tulips in Texas? Mine are always beautiful the first year but never come back for a second. I was told that the winters are too warm here so tulips have to be treated as an annual. I finally gave up on them because I got tired of planting them every year. Any observations on this?